Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another Great Snow Workout

Today I decided to take a walk in our weird winter wonderland. It was actually amazing to see southerners navigating the snow covered streets. I was a little leary of walking too close to the street because of this, so I convinced my husband to walk in the uneven snow banks and the neglected sidewalks of our neighborhood.

It proved to be yet another way to get some moving in. The fact that we had no idea when the snow might crack beneath us and that we were walking working to keep our regular balanced gait, really worked our core and legs. I also concentrated on sucking in my gut and breathing in my nose out of my mouth. Twisting slightly at the waist is something else you can add as well as wrist weights (this will incorporate the arms).

Walking on this uneven ground with unpredictable dips and bumps work very similar to the new $100 Reebok and Sketcher shape up shoes. So save some money and use what just happened to fall out of the sky.

For runners, mimicking Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV is also a great workout. Put on your snow boots and go running in the snow. Lift your knees with each stride and feel the burn baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment